Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Can the County come out and survey my property so I know where my property lines are?

Unfortunately, no. The County does not have surveyors in it's employ. You will need to contact a private survey company for assistance. 

Can the County recommend a surveyor, engineer, builder, contractor, etc. for me to use?

The County does not make recommendations of which private company to use for any purpose.

How can I get a copy of a tax map or address map?

Tax maps and address maps are published at least once annually, and are available online in Adobe Acrobat PDF format at no charge, or in person at the GIS office for a fee. Contact the GIS office at (540) 507-7432, or by email at for more information.

How can I get a copy of my deed or plat?

The official deed or plat for a property in Spotsylvania County is on file in the Clerk of the Court's office in the Circuit Court Building at 9107 Judicial Center Lane.  Contact the Clerk's office at (540) 507-7600 for more information.

I'm getting ready to build a house. How do I get an address?

Contact the GIS office at (540) 507-7432, or by email at · You will need to know your tax map ID number, or the owner's name and a general location of the property.  If it is a corner lot, you will need to decide onto which road your driveway access will be.  For property over 1 acre, you will need a site plan or house location survey for us to correctly place your house number in sequence.  If your house totals 3 or more accessing an unnamed road, your road will need to be named before we can provide an address. Please contact us to determine an available and appropriate road name.

Additional Links

Contact Information

Main: (540) 507-7432 
Fax: (540) 582-7677
E-Mail: gis@

Mailing Address:
PO Box 865
Spotsylvania, VA 22553

Physical Address: Directions
8800 Courthouse Road Spotsylvania, VA  22553

Department Head:  Jane Reeve